BOTTOMS! Big, small, round, squidgy, toned, perky… these are all words we use for our Glutes. We are all fascinated with what they look like and how they feel. But what are they for? What do they do? And how can we make them look and feel like we would like them to!
Our glutes are a really important set of muscles on our body. They support our posture and stabilise us when we are moving around. The big problem our bottoms have is that modern day activities and life are far from ideal when it comes to getting our bottoms to do what they should be used for. We sit down at desks a lot, we sit in the car, and we sit watching television or talking on Facebook. All of these activities mean one thing, that’s right our bums don’t get used! They become redundant and this leads to bad posture, bad backs and weak core muscles.
Fortunately, there are lots of things we can do to combat this happening. I have highlighted three great exercises we can do to make sure we have perfectly formed bum cheeks that not only look great; they do the job they should do!
Side Leg Raise
- Lie on one side, with lower knee bent for stability.
- Keep knee straight with top leg, lifting leg upward.
- Return to start position and repeat.
- Remember to keep your body still, try not to ‘rock’ your body forwards and backwards.
Perform 20 times, once a day.
- Begin standing.
- Step to the right, dropping hips into a deep squat, keeping shins vertical and upper body forwards as shown.
- Imagine you are closing a door behind you with your bum, so stick it out.
- Bring left leg toward right leg and step up towards right into standing.
- Repeat on the other leg.
Perform 10 each side, once a day.
- Begin on all fours.
- Put your wrists under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Squeeze your stomach and bum.
- Raise leg backwards and rotate outward.
- Lower leg and repeat on the other leg
Special Instruction – Maintain a level back, do not allow hips to twist.
Perform 2 times each leg, once a day.
By following these simple but very effective exercises you will be making a huge step forwards to the bottom you desire! Good luck and if you need any more advice please contact me on [email protected]